A TRIBUTE TO
SUNGEI RD. THIEVES MARKET
A landmark of old Singapore, an opposition to its shiny malls:
The Thieves Market in Sungei road has long been here, but is now expected to close on July 10th, 2017. In CupoNation, we found your stories and ideas on the best bargains and gathered some tips on how to make the most of your visit!
- Sungei Rd, Singapore 208785
- 11am - 7pm, Open every day
- MRT Burgis, then 10' walk
- Entry free, Closes on July 10th, 2017
Good value deals
- VinylsWith vinyls in abundance, try getting old albums at good prices and either collect them, or resell for a profit :).
- WatchesThe Thieves market is one of the few places in Singapore where you can find a watch for just a couple of dollars!.
- Vintage BagsYou might need to look very attentively, but you will end up finding a good leather bag at a much lower price..
- Collector's CoinsBe extra careful when buying collector's coins, as there are many 'antique' forgeries made in China..
- ElectronicsWith no way of testing the quality of the electronics beforehand, it's best to avoid buying an old device-except if you'll only have it on display :).
- PhonesAvoid buying telephones as malware might have been installed, and they bear no warranty..
Tips to making the most out of your visit:
- Preparing your visit:Make sure you have a cap or umbrella with you, as it can get hot and get prepared for the market: know what you're looking for and make a research in advance for average prices to know the market value of your item of interest.
- During your visit:Visit right before closing hours. Vendors are likely to make a better bargain, as it means one less thing to pack up and take back home for them. Once there, walk through the entire market before purchasing anything to check the average prices.
- Negotiating:Let the vendors give you their prices first. Try bundling to get a better price and don't hesitate to tell them if you have found better prices around or if you notice some damages in the item.
- Eating nearby:All this bargain hunting will get you hungry: Visit the Sungei Road Laksa on Kelantan Lane, and Ye Zhi Mei Handmade Dim Sum on Jalan Basar.